Have your (pan)cake and eat it too! Pancakes are a staple breakfast. They’re the signature to a deluxe morning. However, they’re not known as the healthiest. For those of us who can’t hang with gluten, they’re nearly impossible.
So, I thought I would change that! It took a while, but I believe I have finally mastered the grain-free pancake. Not only are these the perfect pancakes for gluten-free life, but they’re sugar-free! The sweetness of the pancakes comes from the banana. No sugar = no mid-day crash! And, DUH, they’re vegan!
The base of these pancakes are a ripe banana, and flax eggs. Flax eggs are super easy to make, and pump up the nutritional value of these pancakes.
These pancakes are easy to flip, and cook very fast. Nothing is worse than waiting ages for your pancakes to cook. Once you see them bubbling at the top, you’re good to flip.
These Pancakes are:
Light & Fluffy
Sweet & Delicious
Packed with nutrition
Sugar-free, Gluten-free, Grain-free, & Vegan. Wow.
I added in dark chocolate chips, and it made them even better. These would be amazing with blueberries, raspberries, or whatever else you like throwing in your pancakes!
These also keep very well in the fridge, and make perfect leftovers! If you have any, that is…
PS. I get all of my baking essentials from my favorite online grocer, Thrive Market! They’re way cheaper than normal grocery stores and I can shop from the comfort of my own home! Get up to $20 in shopping credit when you purchase a Thrive Market Membership! (1-year and 1-month memberships available)
- 1 Ripe banana
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup plant milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinigar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Start by making your flax egg: In a small bowl, combine your flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside to thicken (3-5 minutes).
- Next, we are making our vegan 'buttermilk.' Add the apple cider vinegar to your plant milk. Stir, and set aside.
- While your first two ingredients are setting, it's time to mash up that banana! I used a whisk, but a fork or spoon will work just fine. You want the banana to be as smooth as possible!
- Add the flax egg and vegan buttermilk to banana, and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Next, add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir until combined (about 45 seconds).
- While you're combining the ingredients, heat up a nonstick pan. I recommend using medium heat. Slightly grease with your preferred oil (I recommend coconut!).
- Time to cook up those cakes! Scoop about 1/4 cup on to the pan. You will know they are ready to flip when the edges look dry, and the top has little bubbles. Pancakes will be golden brown when done.
- Serve with preferred toppings! For storage, keep in the fridge in sealed Tupperware.