Ditch Your Basic Bread!
New skinny girl healthy-hack! Have you tried potato toast? If not, you need to hop on the health train ASAP! Potatoes are the perfect bread replacement, especially when making avocado toast. I’ve been posting my metabolism-boosting avo toast on Instagram, and have been getting many questions! So, here I am today to give you the 411 on how to make the perfect potato toast!
Why Use Potatoes Over Bread?
Glad you asked. Potato toast is compatible with all kinds of diets including:
Reasons Potato Toast Rocks:
Potatoes are a resistant starch, which improves your digestive health, and blood sugar control. They also boost nutrient absorption and keep you more full, longer.
The humble potato is an excellent source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and manganese. Not to mention they’re full of antioxidants!
I mean- it’s a potato. Need I say more?
So how do I make the perfect potato toast?
I’ve got you covered! In today’s recipe, I’ll explain how to perfect potato toast and how to use it to make the most delicious avocado toast!
Potato Avocado Toast
- 1 potato of choice I like using Hannah Sweet Potatoes, but any kind will do!
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder add more or less depending on personal preference
- 1/2 tsp onion powder add more or less depending on personal preference
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Any additional seasoning
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is heating, wash and peel your potato. You’re going to want to use a potato that’s longer so it looks more like a slice of bread when you cut it. Slice it longways, in 1/2 inch slices.
- Next, drizzle a thin layer of olive oil on each slice. Add a thin layer of the onion and garlic powder over the olive oil. You can add any other seasoning as well. (I love using cayenne, red pepper, and parsley). You can really go any route with how you want to season it though!
- Pop those babies in the oven, and let them hang out for 20-25 minutes.
- While they’re in the oven, get your avocado prepped. Combine the avocado, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together, then mix thoroughly with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are done (they should look slightly browned with a crispy outside and warm fluffy inside) take them out of the oven and top with the avocado. That’s it! SO easy, SO yummy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s such a great, nutritious snack. Not to mention a perfect replacement for normal avocado toast with bread. What kind of spices do you like with your avo toast? Let me know! Make sure to subscribe to my email list for more healthy-hacks. Happy snacking!